Tuesday, 19 July 2011

Eyechip Removal Fail

I was all excited 2 evenings ago to start removing the eyechips from my Blybe, Umi. It started off well, I managed to get the eye mech out (with a little pushing and pulling)...


I don't mind some of the original chips - infact the light grey ones are quite pretty, but I want to change them anyway. So I went straight ahead with the Glue Stick Method. I started with soaking the eyeballs in hot, but not boiling, water...


After about 10 minutes I took them out and dried them off. I scuffed up the eye chips abit so the glue would have something to stick to, them melted a glue stick to each of the chips I wanted to remove and left them for 30 minutes...


And off they came!!

Not.

It didn't touch them. I had heard the horror stories about Blybe eyechips - how they are really tough to get loose as they are super glued on. It looks like that's what's been going on with Umi's. So I reverted to the deaded Hot Screw Method...


I did everything you're ment to, but when I went to pull the chip out...


Again, it wouldn't budge. I felt stuck, so consulted my Dad (who knows nothing about dolls, but does about DIY stuff).

We were standing in the kitchen trying to get the bloody thing out for nearly an hour. It finally cracked into tiny pieces, with the help of a little force...


Ta Da! It isn't perfect - as you can see there is a big hole in the back of the eye where the screw went in too far, plus there are still stubborn bits of chip around the corners. I tried to chisel them off with some diamond tipped burs I got to carve her face with, but it won't move. I realised that I would have to buy myself a Dremel Drill...

More tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Commenting! <3