Tuesday 12 July 2011

So Far So Good

In the end I chose to use yarn for Umi's reroot. Strange choice, I know, but I am used to working with yarn through crocheting, and have applied yarn hair to my amigurumi dolls many times.

I am using some Sirdar SuperSoft Aran yarn, in Minty, that I had in my gigantic stash. I was going to use Double Knit, as there are a huge range of colours in that weight, but I felt the yarn would be too thin for what I wanted it for. Instead of just cutting the yarn into strips and plugging it straight into the scalp, I am going to split it, so that it is thinner and wavy. I might then brush it when it's all done, so it has an almost mohair look.

So I started the reoot about *thinks* 4 night ago now, and have been working on her for about 2 hours every night. I am using the 'Knot' method, as shown here in My Little Customs YouTube video (I am using the 2nd method shown, where you knot the strands in the middle).

First of all I punched new holes and applied plugs low down on the scalp to help her with her receding hair issues...


Then I started on the parting. This took a long time as I had to, again, punch new holes in the plastic because I want her to have bunches, which means a parting all the way down the back of the head.


While I was there I took a picture of my 'work station' (kitchen table!) lol


Like my little Jukebox speaker?!! XD

And tonight I finished the 3rd and 4th rows of parting (I read somewhere you get best results if you do 4 rows of parting, to make it a bit thicker and less see-through). This is what it looks like from the inside of the scalp.


Look at all the little knots! :D And Yep, I know it's wonky! It's ment to be - she has a side parting at the front and a middle parting at the back :)

So that's as far as I got tonight, I'll continue tomorrow!

2 comments:

Thank You For Commenting! <3