Thursday, 21 July 2011

EyeChip Removal Win

After an evening of frustration over the state of Umi's eyes, I wasn't really in the mood to continue, but I'm glad I did.

On Tuesday afternoon I went into town with my Mum to purchase a Dremel drill. I found an alternative in Maplins for £27.99/$45.62 - a Rolson 61pc 18v Rotary Tool Kit. It's basically a Dremel, but a bit cheaper. And it comes in a nice box!

The next day I was wondering how on Earth I was going to get the remaining chips out, when I thought I'd have another go at the Glue Stick Method. This time I didn't soak them first, I just grabbed a glue stick and stuck it on. I waited for about 3 minutes only, then, certain it wouldn't budge, pulled it lightly and 'POP' - it came out! I couldn't believe it! I did this with the remaining 5 chips, again with no problem. Why couldn't this have happened on Monday?!

There were still some little bits of chip around the rim of the eye hole, so I got out my Rolson and started drilling. It was very therapeutic, really! I got the coloured bit out, and tried one of my new chips in the hole.

Problem - it didn't fit properly. This might be because I am using a Blybe, and the chips I bought (CoolCat (II) Enlarge Pupil Smooth Blythe Chips) were, obviously, for Blythe. Grrrrr..... The eye hole in the Blybe slope, very gradually, to a small point deep in the hole. The problem I was having was that the slope was stopping the enlarged pupil from sitting in properly. So I got out my drill...


... and removed the slope, to make the deep part of the hole bigger! The eyeball on the left is how they are originally, and the one on the right is the one I drilled. And the chips fit in perfectly!

So my advice to others customising a Blybe with these chips is, unless you are willing to go at the eyeball with a drill, I would stick to the normal sized pupil chips from CoolCat. And I'm not even 100% that they would fit perfectly, but, again, if you have a Dremel/Rolson type drill you can make them fit :) Plus - don't soak the eyeballs before attaching the glue sticks! If anything I think the colder they are, the better.

I'm having lots of fun with the Rolson! Today I finished a whole eyeball and I'll start the second tomorrow. Oh, and I painted the back of the pupils too. Very messy - I will show you tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Commenting! <3